Monday, March 7, 2011

I hate plumbing


I will explain the photo above in just a minute, but first a little bit about plumbing.  There is a saying in construction: "There are only two things to know about plumbing: sh!t rolls downhill and payday's Friday."  This is not far from the truth.  Plumbing is very simple and uncomplicated.  It is, however, a royal pain in the butt.  As I was attempting to get some work done in the kitchen (removing the dishwasher in this instance) I realized there was water dripping from the hot water connection under my sink.  Because there is not a shut-off installed, I figured I would go ahead and kill two birds with one stone.  A shut off is that little knob that you will probably find against the wall underneath every toilet, sink, washing machine, etc. in your house.  A brilliant idea, this is intended to allow you to shut off the water supply to that fixture without having to turn the water off to the whole house.  This was not part of the building code in 1962.  (Was there even a building code in 1962?)

Unfortunately, due to the simplicity of the basic nature of plumbing, every joe blow handyman thinks that he can tackle any plumbing problem.  Apparently this was the case when it comes to the hot water supply to my kitchen sink and disposal.  The reason it was leaking is because the two fittings you see on either end of that T connector above are for natural gas.  As you might guess, natural gas and water have some slightly different properties.  Genius.

Having done one previous plumbing project in my house, the whole thing was galvanized pipe which is pretty helpful.  I say this because there are no special tools or knowledge required to work with galvanized pipe.  Since I couldn't see what was in the wall, I assumed that it was all galvanized pipe.  It wasn't.  I tried in vain to disconnect that T connector in any way that I could.  Note: underneath the kitchen sink is not the most comfortable place to work.  Eventually, I just tried to turn the whole thing.  The copper elbow you see on the left was happy to let go and the whole thing came out.  This is because copper is very soft and doesn't screw together.  

After a few unhappy words, Jenny showed up and we brainstormed a bit.  The most common way to connect copper pipes is by soldering them together.  This is the third thing that you need to know to be a plumber.  It is not all that difficult to learn, but it does require a blow torch.  There are some downsides to this.  When you are working inside a wooden cabinet, most things around you do not respond well to a high temperature flame.  I decided to go to the hardware store and purchase a brass compression fitting, the other way to attach copper pipe.  

Long story short, by the next day I had the thing sorted out and the hot water turned back on.  We still don't have hot water on the kitchen sink because the hardware store was out of the cap I needed to close off the dishwasher connection and I haven't bothered to find another one.

Here is why I hate plumbing: there is nothing difficult conceptually about plumbing, but it tends to be in the most awkward spaces to work, it never goes quite as you hope, you NEVER know what is behind a wall, and most importantly plumbers cost a fortune!  I despise this because there really is nothing particularly difficult about plumbing!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Did you turn off the water to the house first? I made that mistake a few weeks ago. Plumbing lesson 1 - turn the water off first, even if you think you're working on the side of the valve that will be off. You might be wrong.

Beau said...

While I know this, I often jump in head-first to projects and may have had to break out the shop vac. :/